Andy Studebaker Talks About His New Deal

News started to leak on Tuesday that the Chiefs and Andy Studebaker had agreed to a contract extension.  The linebacker confirmed to The Star yesterday that he had signed a new deal to stay in Kansas City “hopefully for a long time”.

Studebaker’s previous contract was set to expire after this season, and (agent Josh) Wright said it was important to get something worked out early.

“Nobody wanted it to be a distraction,” he said.

Studebaker had two sacks during the preseason, and he’s perhaps best known for intercepting two of Ben Roethlisberger’s passes in an overtime victory last season against Pittsburgh.

“This is about team and winning games,” said Studebaker, 25.  “If good things happen along the way, that’s how it goes.  But I’m pumped to be here, pumped that that kind of thing happened and that I can be a part of this process.

“Hopefully I’ll retire here.”

Not often you hear a 25-year old player talking about retirement, though it is good to hear how enthusiastic he is about sticking around with the franchise that gave him a shot.

One game isn’t going to stop what was most likely a long process of getting a new deal done, but it’s interesting that it was signed days after Studebaker saw much less time on the field than expected just a couple weeks ago.  Demorrio Williams played opposite Mike Vrabel in nickel situations instead of Studebaker, though he did help Dexter McCluster cover up a muffed punt that could have been a disaster for the Chiefs.

As I said earlier in the week, it’s great to see Kansas City (hopefully) locking up their young core.  Hopefully Brandon Flowers’ agent will be the next one Scott Pioli gets on the phone.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

NFL Blog Directory