When Vegas first posted odds for this weekend’s showdown in Kansas City between the Chiefs and Steelers, the road team was an 8.5 favorite. Since then, the line has shot up to 10 with some books as high as 11.
Pittsburgh continues to be one of the most bet on teams in the NFL. If you plan on being part of the large group putting money on this week’s game, it’s good to have as much information as possible. The folks at Gambling 911 have put together some trends for you to consider.
- The Steelers are 3-7 ATS in their last 10 games as a favorite.
- Pittsburgh is 1-5 ATS in their last 6 games as a road favorite.
- The Steelers are 1-5 ATS in their last 6 road games.
- The Steelers are 1-6 ATS in their last 7 games after allowing less than 90 yards rushing in their previous game.
- The Chiefs are 1-6 ATS in their last 7 home games vs. a team with a winning road record.
The Steelers are a better team than the Chiefs… I’m not cracking any special codes with that assesment. But there are a couple things that have me undecided about Sunday.
How will the Chiefs respond to Dwayne Bowe’s suspension? Last week the release of Larry Johnson didn’t break the team’s spirit and they were able to gut out a win against the Raiders. Some could argue that losing LJ was a benefit, something you couldn’t possibly say about Bowe, making this a much tougher hurdle to get over.
At the same time, can Pittsburgh — most likely playing without their defensive MVP Troy Polamalu — put in back-to-back solid performances? Just because they stepped up last week after Polamalu left the game doesn’t mean they will respond the same way knowing all week he would be on the sidelines.
Under normal circumstances, I would have no problem — yes, even at Arrowhead — taking the Steelers and feeling pretty confident. But this week there are more than a few issues flying around that make me uncomfortable to lay double digits.